tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 18 19:22:28 1999

RE: KLBC: jupwI' chong

ja' netlh:
>>> mata'DI' maghoj.
>>nuq wIta'?
>That was a failed attempt to say, "We learn by doing."
>
>Maybe more correct sentence would be:
>vay' mata'DI' maghoj

Or just turn the original idea around:
maghojmeH mata'.  We do in order to learn.

>>ghoj ghaH neHchugh, vaj ghItlhnISbej. po'choHlu'meH, qeqnISlu'ba'.
>Is {ba'} in {qeqnISlu'ba'} a typo or is there something I am missing?

I don't recall seeing an answer to this yet.  No, it's not a typo, and
yes, there's something you're missing.  Turn to TKD page 175 for the
additional Type 6 verb suffix {-ba'} "obviously".

>>> juppu', jabbI'IDghomvamDaq yIghItlh 'ej
>>maj. Of course, since you are using a no object prefix, it should be the
>>plural <pe->.
>{yI} is an object prefix for you-plural.  Isn't that what I want?

{yI-} is an imperative verb prefix for third-person singular objects,
or for no object when you're addressing a single person.  If there is
no object, as in your sentence, the correct imperative prefix for when
you're addressing multiple people is {pe-}.

>I was going for, "Encourage him to write to the list."  I thought the
>translation would turn out to be "Encourage him that he writes to the
>list."

Just make it "Encourage that he writes to the list."

>How about this sentence:
>jabbI'IDghomDaq labmeH ghaH yItungHa'
>"Encourage him (for the purpose of, so that) he transmits to the list."

That works too.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level