tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 18 15:23:10 1999

Re: naj

Voragh suggested:

> 	yInajQo' neH; yIvang!
> 	Don't merely dream; act (take action)!
>
> and finally, I'll rephrase this in less exact but more colloquial English:
>
> 	Don't just dream it; do it!

muHwI':
: Don't forget: the yI- can also mean "you-it"!
: {yInajQo'} "don't dream it" (okay, dream can't take an object)

Quite.  Which is why I termed it "less exact", i.e. than the literal
meaning of the Klingon.  Just because the Klingon verbs are intransitive
doesn't mean you're restricted to using intransitive verbs when translating
into colloquial English, or German either.

: {yIvang} "act it" (this don't make sense either, but you know whatta mean)

{vang} "act, take action" is also intransitive:

	bI'IQchugh yIvang
	If you are sad, act!  TKW

	batlhHa' vanglu'taHvIS quv chavbe'lu'
	One does not achieve honor while acting dishonorably. TKW

	Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh,
	 pagh ghaH SuvwI''e'
	If a warrior ignores duty, acts dishonorably, or is disloyal,
	 he is nothing.  TKW

	vangDI' tlhIngan SuvwI' ngoy' qorDu'Daj; vangDI' qorDu'Daj
	 ngoy' tlhIngan SuvwI'
	The family of a Klingon warrior is responsible for his actions,
	 and he is responsible for theirs. TKW

	pevang!
	(shouted by Gowron) KCD

and, just for fun, a proverb that was only given in English on KCD,
followed by the most common Klingon rendering I've seen on the mailing list:

	Act and you shall have dinner; think and you shall be dinner.  KCD
	[bIvangchugh 'uQ DaSop; bIQubchugh 'uQ Damoj.]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level