tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 15 15:16:50 1999

RE: KLBC:convert

'oghwI':
> lab 'oghwI' bIlI'
> Transmitted from 'oghwI' to you.

pagh:
: This sentence has two verbs, so it needs to be two sentences:
: 	<lab 'oghwI'. bIlI'.>.

Using just one verb as you did in English, you could say:

	'oghwI'vo' SoHvaD lablu'.
	(It [the data] was) transmitted from 'oghwI' to you.

But that's a little impersonal and clumsy.  Why not say in a straightforward Klingon manner:

	Dulab 'oghwI'.
	'oghwI' transmitted it (the data) to you.

Since you cannot {lab} people - we have two special verbs for that {jol} & {Qol} "beam, transport" - only data, "you" becomes the indirect object of {lab} "transmit data (away from a place)".  This is an application of the usage Okrand explained on the Expert Forum (6/97):

	Since the object of {jatlh} is that which is spoken, and since
	"you" or "I" or "we" cannot be spoken (and therefore cannot be
	the object of the verb), if the verb is used with a pronominal
	prefix indicating a first- or second-person object, that first
	or second person is the indirect object. Which is a not very
	elegant way of saying that {qajatlh} means "I speak to you or,
	more literally, perhaps "I speak it to you", where "it" is a
	language or a speech or whatever."

: 		   <lab> and <lI'> also win the "most confusing definition" award, so
: I'm not sure of this usage. I think it's correct, but others may have other
: ideas.

If it turns out that we really want to use {lI'} "transmit data (to a place)" - I'm not quite sure which to use either - the trick works for that verb too.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level