tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 15 13:25:58 1999

Re: KLBC:convert

pagh:
> as I understand it from the recent startrek.klingon post, means
> "a noise", and not "noise" in general. You also can't put a noun

Here's how Okrand used it on startrek.klingon:

	'arlogh wab Qoylu'pu'?
	How many times has someone heard the sound?
	How many times has the sound been heard?

I don't know whether a single example is enough to say {wab} *cannot* mean "noise in general", only that in this one frozen idiom (used to inquire about the time of day) it refers to a specific sound.  We don't even know what kind of sound Klingons used to mark the passage of the hours - Okrand was being intentionally vague.

Quvar muHwI':
: I dunno if you speak German, but some other people do:
: If I got it right, {wab} is "Geräusch" but not "Lärm" - is that
: correct? In english, the difference is not very clear to me.

If pagh is right - and my German isn't too rusty - *Geräusch* sounds right.  But then, so does *Laut* according to my dictionary.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level