tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 12 14:21:23 1999

RE: KLBC: Definitions

jatlh 'oghwI':

One general comment - <-wI'> can apply to beings as well as devices, just
like the English <-er>. For example, I might have a printer (device) on my
desk, and a printer (guy who makes books) next door. Usually the context
will make it clear what you are talking about, but do keep it in mind.

> bIrwI'       Fridge?

<bIrwI'> would be something that *is* cold. Although a refrigerator itself
is cold, at least on the inside, its defining characteristic is that it
makes other things cold. Use <bIrmoHwI'> for this. This is also a very
generic term which could be applied to anything which makes things cold.

> bIrwI''a'    Frezzer?  (or should that be bIr'a'wI'?)

Well, <bIr'a'wI'> doesn't work at all, no matter how you look at the
suffixes. I don't really know how a <bIrmoHwI''a'> would be different from a
regular <bIrmoHwI'>, but it might be OK. You could do something similar and
clearer with a suffix on the verb, though: <bIrqu'moHwI'> or even
<bIrmoHchu'wI'>. I'd probably use these terms for industrial or scientific
equipment used to create very low temperatures, rather than a plain old
freezer. Your next try is good for that.

> taDmoHwI'    Frezzer?
maj.

> wewwI'       Lighting device (ie torch [flashlight])?
Thing which glows - good. I generally perceive "glow" to be nondirectional,
so I would not use this for a flashlight, but it would work just fine for a
lamp. That may be just me.

> wovwI'       Lighting Device (ie main room light)?
Thing which is bright. This just seems to generic for me. I don't know why.
You could use <wovmoHwI'>, though, to mean something which illuminates. This
would be good for a flashlight, which illuminates a spot or small area, as
well as for a room light which illuminates the whole room.

> tujwI'       Device that heats (heater)?
Same comments as above: <tujmoHwI'>.

> mISwI'       Food processor (mixer)?
<mIS> is "mixed up", as in "confused". Try <DuDwI'>.

> vemmoHwI'    Waking up device
The Klingon is perfect. The English is awkward.

> bI'wI'       Sweeping Brush
Don't see any problem with it.

> could I use SeHlaw for keyboard?
I don't know for sure, but probably. I think I have before. Perhaps Voragh
can fill us in on canon use of <SeHlaw>.

> could I use HablI' for telephone / Modem.
HIja'. Marc Okrand has specifically given use <ghogh HablI'> for
"telephone". It seems clear enough that a modem (at least the way most
people use the word) fits into this category as well. If anyone wants to
disagree and get into a long debate, do it in Klingon, please.

> Does poch mean plant as in to plant <something>.
That's the only way I can think to use it.

> What word would I use for a plant?
There are lots of words:

tI - vegetaion
Sor - tree