tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 30 18:30:45 1999

Man-of-war and song translations (was Re: a young Warrior)

ja'lu':
> Bit off topic: Do you know the band Manowar? I think it would be great
>in the warrior's language, its texts are made for it!

ja' HovQIj:

>Hehe... chu' latlh muchwI' ghommey, HoHqu' veSloD'e'!

The term "man-of-war" refers not to a person but to a warship.
A better translation would be {veSDuj}.

>Translating songs is somehow an impossible task. The result will ALWAYS be
>different, and usually inferior to the original.

It's not impossible, but I think it takes some talent in both languages
to do it well.  And a knack for poetry in general couldn't hurt. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level