tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 30 14:07:50 1999

Re: HolQeD Dec/99 and "Barge"

> jatlh malqa:
> > However, today I opened the issue to
> > see the transcript *mostly* in Capital letters which I assumed was what
> > was going to be corrected plus the sentence structure. Now, I"m still
> > a newbie and confuse easily but wasn't correction the goal not just
> > reprinting the captions ? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I"m still
> > confused as to why the incorrect forms were used here.
> > And if what is in HolQeD is corrected.
>
> The purpose of putting it in HolQeD is to have it published in written form
> AT ALL.  Otherwise, those of us without closed captioning on our televisions
> would never be able to see them.  It is not up to us to "correct" them,
> though I certainly hope no one would object to your trying to do so, whether
> on the list or in the pages of HolQeD.

Now how can any language warrior pass up a challenge like that?
tlhIngan Hol SuvwI' jIHmo' qaDlIj vIlajba'!

I just received HolQeD.  I didn't see the episode so I can't place
the phrases in context though I can make a good guess.  I'll ignore
those lines which are lifted straight from TKD and the other books.
I'll skip the song for now, it looks difficult.

mu'mey law' vIloyqu'!
I guessed many words.  Please correct me if I err.

Neelix: Sop joq jIH yuv gagh drek!
(This is almost a word-for-word but I have no idea what <drek> is.  Anyone?)
Supposed meaning: Eat this or I'll force it down the gullet of your corpse.
Attempt at correction: Sojvam DaSopbe'chugh lomlIj HughDaq Soj vIyuv!
(not sure about that <-Daq>...)

Hij'Qa: Legh SoH va Gre'thor!
(Again, word-for-word from the English.  Is there a <va> that means "in"?
The word <va> is also used in the line from the song, <Ejdahk-so-TAS ghos
*va* Skral byteek>.)
Meaning: See you in hell!
Attempt: ghe'tor DaghoS 'ej pa' qalegh!
(This means "Go to hell, and I'll see you there."  I tried <ghe'torDaq
qalegh>, but it seems to be missing something.)

Hij'Qa: Qem nuH meQ
Meaning: Bring the branding iron.
(I assume that <nuH meQ> is attempt at "burning weapon".  I wouldn't
use <nuH> for a branding iron.)
Attempt: ghItlhmeH baS tujqu' yIqem!
("Bring the very hot metal for making a mark!", I'm trying <ghItlhmeH
baS tujqu'> for "branding iron".)

Hij'Qa: 'Uch ghaH.
Meaning: Hold her.
Correction: ghaH yI'uch. (or <ghaH 'uch> or <yI'uch> or <'uch>)

Hij'Qa: QuSDaq ba'.
Meaning: Sit down.
Correction: quSDaq (yI)ba'.
(Or even <yIba'> or just <ba'!> would have sufficed.)

Klingon: PUQ DOY'LO VLLO'LA
Meaning: Unknown
Attempt: puq Doy' lo' vIlo'laH (???)
("I can't use the tired child" or "The tired child is useless to me"?)

Voices: JIH NEH.
Apparent Intended Meaning: I want.
Correction: vIneH.  (I want what?  Perhaps "I lack (something)",
<(Doch) vIHutlh> might be better?)

Voices: JIH GHAJ NUG SOH NEH.
Apparent Intended Meaning: I have what you want.
Correction: Doch DaneHbogh vIghaj.

Voices: JIH GHAJ NEJ SOH.
Apparent Intended Meaning: I have searched for you (???)
Correction: qanejpu'.

Voices: NUG SOH LOS.
Apparent Intended Meaning: What are you waiting for? (???)
Correction: nuq DaloS?

Voices: VAV, NUQDAQ SOH?
Meaning: Father, where are you?
Correction: vav, nuqDaq SoH?  (I think this line was actually correct!)

Voices: NUQDAQ' OH PUCHPA'E'.
Meaning: Where is the bathroom? =)
Correction: nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

(The next few are easy, just typos.)

Voices: Nuq Daq SoH?
Meaning: Where are you?
Correction: nuqDaq SoH?

Voices: Qa legh VI neH.
Meaning: I want to see you.
Correction: qalegh vIneH.

Voices: Vi nej qa'
Meaning: I'm searching for you.
Correction: vInejqa'

Voices: DUJ TLVOQTAH.
Meaning: Trust your instincts.
Correction: Duj tIvoqtaH.

Voices: BATLH DAQAWLU'TAH.
Meaning: You will be remembered with honour.
Correction: batlh Daqawlu'taH.

Voices: TUGH!
Meaning: Soon!
Correction: tugh!

(Now it gets difficult again.)

Klingon: JiH Qoy SoH!  Qa bej.
Meaning: I hear you!  Show your face.
Correction: qaQoy! (or perhaps <ghoghlIj vIQoy!>)  qablIj yI'ang.

Hij'Qa: SOH
Meaning: You!
Correction: (I think a Klingon might say <HIghoS> instead of <SoH>
to call someone.)

Hij'Qa: KOT'MAH SOH GRE'THOR
Meaning: ??? No clue at all.  <qotlh> is "deserve".
"We and you deserve hell?" ???  I probably need to see the episode
to understand the context.
Attempt: ???

Klingon: SUS'A G GRE'THOR QAY.
Meaning: ??? This one's worse than before.  <qay'> is "problem",
<Qay'> is "blow one's top"  (What the heck does THAT mean???)
Attempt: ???

Hij'Qa: VIH!
Meaning: Move!
Correction: vIH!  (This is clipped. Could also be <yIvIH!>)

That's all for now.  I hope that was a useful start, maybe
now more experienced speakers can correct my deficiencies.

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level