tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 29 08:16:55 1999

RE: KLBC: Hol vI'lo 'e' vInID (jav)

ja' ghunchu'wI':

> {lalDanmey law'} means "many religions".  I can't quite understand it as
> "many of the religions", the way you've tried to use it.  The only way I
> can interpret your sentence is as "I'm studying Earth's many religions."

	What I need is a noun that means 'many', or a good stiff jolt from
Pagh's
	painstick to remind me to try and think more like a Klingon.

> A general-purpose partitive "of" seems to be missing from Klingon grammar.
> So far as I can find, we have examples only of {nIn Hoch} "all the fuel"
> and {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom} "most of the 23rd Century".
> It's probably significant that both of these use a noun-noun construction
> and not an adjectival verb, as N1-N2 can be translated as "N2 of the N1".

	I have a question about {nIn Hoch} and {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH
wej
	HochHom}.  Isn't the word /Hoch/ supposed to be first in a noun-noun
	construction?  Shouldn't these be {Hoch nIn} and {HochHom tera'...}
?

	- tuv'el

Back to archive top level