tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 30 18:32:45 1999

RE: KLBC: Hol vI'lo 'e' vInID (jav)

ja' tuv'el:
> I have a question about {nIn Hoch} and {tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej
> HochHom}.  Isn't the word /Hoch/ supposed to be first in a noun-noun
> construction?  Shouldn't these be {Hoch nIn} and {HochHom tera'...}?

That use of {Hoch} is apparently a special grammatical case, not a general
noun-noun construction.  When {Hoch} precedes a noun, it acts a lot like a
number.  {Hoch nIn} is "each fuel"; {nIn Hoch} is "all of the fuel".  I've
decided it's a distinction between a "count" usage and a "part" usage.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level