tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 25 21:45:02 1999

Re: Stress in Klingon

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999 19:48:21 -0500 (EST) [email protected]
wrote:

> > We also have a new (or old?) one to add to the list from Okrand's Klingon
> > notes for the movie ST5, which have just been published by Lawrence in
> > HolQeD (v.8, no.4: Dec. 1999):
> >
> >   jems tIy qIrq       James T. Kirk
>
> Doesn't this violate some rules of Klingon phonology?  From
> looking at the other names I'd have expected <jemIs> and <qIrqa'>
> (or something like that).

This is not a Klingon name. It is a Klingon transliteration of
an English name. We similarly pronounce foreign names with
sounds that violate English phonology. Bwana.

> --
> De'vID

charghwI'

Back to archive top level