tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 25 21:39:49 1999

Re: KLBC two semi-old posts to be critiqued please

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 19:39:29 +0000 (GMT) Mark A Miles
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Well... actually it's just one for me... pagh, I know you're busy, so can
> *anybody* please tell me if my first post was syntactically correct, etc.
> Here it is:
>
> jenwI' mupongnISqu' tlhInganpu'

"Klingons MUST call me {jenwI'}." I accept this, using the
prefix shortcut, though some are happier with:

jIHvaD jenwI' lupongnISqu' tlhInganpu'.

> "Dumfries"-Daq wa'maH Hut ben jIboghpu'("Scotland" Sep).

"Nineteen years ago I was born in Dumfries (in Scotland)."

While the parenthetical remark may be gibberish to a Klingon,
given the placement of the words, I understood it. You intend
this to be a locative and it should be treated as such. We've
seen compounded locatives {XDaq YDaq} referring to a place
within a place.

> DaH "Edinburgh" yoSvo' Sum juHwIj.

"Now, my home is near Edinburgh."

Okrand tells us this should be {yoSDaq} and not {yoSvo'}. You
are giving a locative for the place one considers to be "here"
for the verb "near", since one is always near or far related to
"here". So, it is a normal locative and not {-vo'}. In other
words, it is a lot like saying, "In Edinburgh, you'd say that my
home is nearby."

> DaH DuSaQ'a'Daq jIHaD.

Now, I study at a major school.

> "Danish" Hol, "German" Hol, De'wI' QeD je vIHaD

I study Danish and German languages and Computer Science.

> QIt tlhIngan Hol vIHaD je

"I also slowly study Klingon language." I'll offer as a note
that when Okrand has talked about the use of {je} as an adverb
like this, the details he talked about (much to my frustration)
consistently took the form that someone else studies Klingon
language and I do, too. He never has used it or explained it in
the form "I do other things and I study Klingon, too."
Meanwhile, I don't know any Klingonist (except Okrand) who has
not used it the way you did.

> "Tibet" vItlhabmoH vInIDtaH je

The single most frustrating, arbitrary rule that Okrand has
stated and often broken, himself, is that you can't use a Type 7
verb suffix on the second verb of a Sentence as Object
construction. So, technically, this is wrong. You can't use
{-taH} here without breaking this rule. For what it is worth.
And while you didn't put the pronoun {'e'} before {vInID}, you
needed it. There is no other justification for having two main
verbs here. So, this should have been:

*Tibet* vItlhabmoH 'e' vInID.

> DaHjaj "Day of Honour" paq vIje'pu'.

"Today, I have bought the book 'Day of Honor'." People will
argue with you over whether or not you should have used {-pu'}
here. You are referring to a time when the purchase is
completed, and the problem is that with a time stamp like
{DaHjaj}, it includes times when you have completed the purchase
and also times when you had not purchased it yet. The main point
here is that if you include {-pu'}, some people will cheer you
on and others will tell you that you are wrong. Meanwhile, if
you leave off {-pu'}, generally everyone will leave you alone
and think the sentence is perfectly understandable.

> Do' Daj 'oH [I was meaning "it might prove interesting"].

"Fortunately, it is interesting." You probably want the adverb
{chaq}. Likely you wanted something like:

wej paqvam vIlaD. chaq Daj.

You would not include {'oH} unless you were accentuating the
subject, or trying to make it clear that it was {'oH} and not
{ghaH} or {bIH} or {chaH}. It is also perfectly acceptable to
say {paqvam} as many times as needed for clarity. Repetition of
nouns like this is not considered bad style in Klingon.

> yapqu'! ta' Hol vIghItlhqangtaHbe'

"It is ENOUGH! I do not continue to be willing to write
Empiror's language." Realize that {ghItlh} refers to drawing
letters of the alphabet or otherwise marking on something. It is
the physical practice of writing, not the recording of words as
any kind of abstract. You probably wanted to use {qon} instead.

> Also, what's the difference between nuv & ghot?

Others have answered. What's the difference between the English
words "someone" and "somebody"? Synonyms do not necessarily have
a meaningful difference.

> jenwI'
> *mutta'* tuq
> [email protected]