tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 25 21:13:24 1999

Re: {qIm} and {qImHa'}

While this is the same film that showed the use of {je} BETWEEN
nouns instead of after them, and other "interesting" grammar, I
will accept this as transitive use of {qIm} and will try to
begin understanding people when they use it this way.

charghwI'

On Sat, 25 Dec 1999 18:13:02 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' ~mark:
> >Huh.  Me, I just assumed that the canon {qImHa'} clarified the meaning of
> >{qIm}, that {qIm} really *does* take an object.  Obviously, like all
> >intransitives, it can be used without one, but it certainly does seem
> >reasonable to me that it means "to pay attention TO SOMETHING."
>
> ghunchu'wI':
> : I'm going to stick with the more restricted definitions given to us, at
> : least until such time as looser ones are made official by Okrand.  With
> : the knowledge that suffixed verbs are in the dictionary just to make it
> : easier to look them up, I'm going to take the definition of {qIm} as an
> : absolutely correct one.
>
> Have you received the new HolQeD #32 yet?  There's a new (old?) example of
> {qIm} taking an object in Okrand's notes from ST5:
>
>   jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
>   James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy.
>
> This complements another transitive example which was heard in the film:
>
>   HeDaj yIqIm
>   Track her course! ST5
>

> --
> Voragh