tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 15:25:51 1999

Re: KLBC: Do'Ha'

> On 07 Dec 1999 11:49:00 +0200 Regina Reusser
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > jatlh DloraH:
> > >... but nobody I knew kame along. At 7.15 p.m. I didn't see anyone,
> > >
> > > And then from another message:
> > >
> > > chaq meqvammo' vay' Daleghbe'
> > >
> > > (jIqID neH)
> > >
> > > DloraH
> >
> > jIjatlh
> > Qo' "legh" mu' vIlo' "even though" jIleghlaHbe'. "for example" ""Deep
> > space nine" vIleghpu'" vIja' je'. - Or do you know anyonne who says: "I
> > heard Deep space nine"? That sounds so silly, vIparchu'!!!
>
> mu' <<legh>> tIvlaw' leghlaHbe'wI'pu'. In English, the word is
> used to mean several things:
>
> "to view with the eyes" -- "I saw the Sun set yesterday."
>
> "to perceive and understand" -- "I see what you mean."
>
> "to meet; to be within sight of each other" -- "I saw Jill,
> yesterday."
>
> Meanwhile, the blind live in a world of language where these
> various uses of the verb are so common. While the first meaning
> may be mysterious to one who cannot experience the sensation,
> such a person is still a whole person and naturally would not
> want to be unnecessarily socially handicapped by any requirement
> that they find some other verb to use instead of "see" when
> talking about perceiving, understanding or meeting.
>
> Meanwhile, the part we should be reflecting on is whether or not
> Klingon extends the use of {legh} to include meanings other than
> the first. Can I say, {wa'Hu' Qanqor vIlegh} or would it be
> considered far more meangingful and common an utterance to
> prefer {wa'Hu' Qanqor vIghom.}? We have already seen examples
> where a human might say "I see," where Klingons said, {jIyaj.}

HIja'. But in my example, I think "legh" would really be okay, even though
I actually cannot see. But I would really be happier, if I could have
said: "7.15 p.m. jupwI' vIghompu'"!

Regina
## CrossPoint v3.11 ##

Back to archive top level