tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 07 09:00:10 1999

Re: KLBC: Do'Ha'

On 07 Dec 1999 11:49:00 +0200 Regina Reusser
<[email protected]> wrote:

> jatlh DloraH:
> >... but nobody I knew kame along. At 7.15 p.m. I didn't see anyone,
> > >but I kept on waiting.
> >
> > And then from another message:
> > > ... I am blind ...
> >
> > chaq meqvammo' vay' Daleghbe'
> >
> > (jIqID neH)
> >
> > DloraH
>
> jIjatlh
> Qo' "legh" mu' vIlo' "even though" jIleghlaHbe'. "for example" ""Deep
> space nine" vIleghpu'" vIja' je'. - Or do you know anyonne who says: "I
> heard Deep space nine"? That sounds so silly, vIparchu'!!!

mu' <<legh>> tIvlaw' leghlaHbe'wI'pu'. In English, the word is
used to mean several things:

"to view with the eyes" -- "I saw the Sun set yesterday."

"to perceive and understand" -- "I see what you mean."

"to meet; to be within sight of each other" -- "I saw Jill,
yesterday."

Meanwhile, the blind live in a world of language where these
various uses of the verb are so common. While the first meaning
may be mysterious to one who cannot experience the sensation,
such a person is still a whole person and naturally would not
want to be unnecessarily socially handicapped by any requirement
that they find some other verb to use instead of "see" when
talking about perceiving, understanding or meeting.

Meanwhile, the part we should be reflecting on is whether or not
Klingon extends the use of {legh} to include meanings other than
the first. Can I say, {wa'Hu' Qanqor vIlegh} or would it be
considered far more meangingful and common an utterance to
prefer {wa'Hu' Qanqor vIghom.}? We have already seen examples
where a human might say "I see," where Klingons said, {jIyaj.}

> Regina
>
> ## CrossPoint v3.11 ##

charghwI'

Back to archive top level