tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 15:52:00 1999

RE: KLBC: Hol vI'lo 'e' vInID

jatlh tuv'el:

> KLBC: Hol vI'lo 'e' vInID

maj.

> qatlh pIvghor qoDDaq puq chonnaQ bolan?
> Why did you put the fork in the warp drive?

ghay'cha'! chay' ta'lu'????

> tajvetlh HInob!
> Give me that knife!

maj. Good use of the "prefix trick".

> bong ra'wI'wI'Daq pum tepqengwI' 'e'
> vIchaw'mo' Heghba'wIj vItaghnIS.
> Because I accidentally allowed the cargo lift
> to fall on my commander, I must begin the Heghbat.

I think the <bong> would be better placed like this:

ra'wI'wI'Daq pum tepqengwI' bong 'e' vIchaw'mo' ...

This puts the "accidentally" on your actions rather than those of the cargo
lift, which really can't do anything intentionally or accidentally. This is
splitting a pretty fine hair, though, and it probably works fine either way.

Also, <tagh> is an interesting word. Can it work in this kind of sentence?
The  canon example <Qu' DataghDI' 'aqtu' mellota' je tIqaw> indicates that
it can. Can it also work for "The show is starting" - <tagh much>? I think
so, but I am not sure. How does all of this relate to <-choH>? You are
correct - just stuff to think about.

> Savuvbej 'ach tuvuv'eghlaw'.
> I respect all of you, but you don't seem to respect yourselves.

Two problems - one prefix and one suffix: <Suvuv'eghbe'law'>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ