tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 05 15:11:52 1999

Re: The Klingon Year (was:Re: Qo'noS)

>Date: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 15:11:02 -0500 (EST)
>From: david joslyn <[email protected]>
>
>On Sun, 5 Dec 1999, [ISO-8859-1] Tomás Oeste wrote:
>
>> How do we know how long the Klingon year is?
>
>My estimate on the length of the Klingon year <DIS> cames from information
>provided by the Klingon Bird of Prey poster. Here's the relevent info:
>

>jabbI'ID pup: Qapchu'meH 'aqroS chuq: cha' vI' chorgh loghqammey
>High Resolution - Maximum Effective Range - 3.5 Light Years
>
>jabbI'ID pupHa': Qapchu'meH chuq: chorgh vI' chorgh loghqammey
>Medium to Low Resolution - Efeective Range - 11 Light Years
>

>Doing the math, we see that 1 loghqam = 1.25 light-years
>
>Thus, my natural assumtion that a <loghqam> represents the distace
>traveled by light in one <DIS>.

Why need it have to do with a <DIS>?  We could go back to deriving Klingon
angle measurements; after all, here on Earth we measure astronomical
distances in parsecs, which are seconds of parallax, related to the
angle-measure of one second.  A parsec is about 3.26 light years, and IS
actually used as a distance measurement.  Now set that assumption churning
and you can easily work out completely reliable figures for Klingon angle
measures and the radius of its orbit.  Amazing what you can get from a few
sentences, isn't it?

~mark

Back to archive top level