tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 05 11:29:28 1999

Re: qISmaS

<<  agree. So does anyone have a translation concept for Christmas that is
more than just a
 transliteration? What would "Christmas" look like to a member of the warrior
race (no insults
 please!)?

 Michael

Well, what I often do when attempting to gain a Klingon perspective on an
indigineous Terran *anything*, I break it down for what it is. Christmas is
literally, "Christ's Mass" a ceremonial religious observance of the birth of
the Christ, the Son of God. Granted, all the Santa and Reindeer, and Snowman
and Tree thingies are an integral and secular part of the observance. I feel
that, since the Klingons destroyed the gods who created them, that this
aspect would not be recognized. However, a Warrior revered by many to be the
epitome of what it is to be Klingon...now that's a distinct possibility. A
similar observation might mark the date on the Klingon calendar of the Birth
of Kahless. I would think, with the monastery on Boreth and all, that the
religious aspect would not be altogether absent...but the Peace on Earth
Goodwill to Men" is probably history...

juDmoS

Back to archive top level