tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 06 09:59:27 1999

Re: qISmaS

On Sun, 5 Dec 1999 14:29:08 EST [email protected] wrote:

> <<  agree. So does anyone have a translation concept for Christmas that is
> more than just a
>  transliteration? What would "Christmas" look like to a member of the warrior
> race (no insults
>  please!)?
>
>  Michael
>   >>
> Well, what I often do when attempting to gain a Klingon perspective on an
> indigineous Terran *anything*, I break it down for what it is. Christmas is
> literally, "Christ's Mass" a ceremonial religious observance of the birth of
> the Christ, the Son of God. Granted, all the Santa and Reindeer, and Snowman
> and Tree thingies are an integral and secular part of the observance.

Also grant that Jesus was born sometime in March a few years
away from 1 AD, and that the December Holiday predates his birth
by quite a few centuries, since people tended to have
celebrations mid-winter praying to whatever it was they prayed
to, hoping all this cold, white stuff would go away so they
could grow some more food...

> I feel
> that, since the Klingons destroyed the gods who created them, that this
> aspect would not be recognized. However, a Warrior revered by many to be the
> epitome of what it is to be Klingon...now that's a distinct possibility.

Don't forget that Klingons dislike cold.

> similar observation might mark the date on the Klingon calendar of the Birth
> of Kahless. I would think, with the monastery on Boreth and all, that the
> religious aspect would not be altogether absent...but the Peace on Earth
> Goodwill to Men" is probably history...

I feel certain that if any Klingon god proposed that, he would
have been the first to go.

Actually, I imagine a group of Klingons in a bar. One stands and
says an equivalent to "Peace on Earth! Good will to men!"
Everyone falls silent. They stare at their friend who still
stands silently, looking to his mug held high. He glances around
at his friends, no longer able to contain himself. His grin
widens and he nearly collapses, laughing. His friends all join
in, clapping him on the back, howling, spilling brew and,
depending on whether or not you believe Klingons have tear
ducts, they wipe tears of mirth from their eyes as they slowly
catch their breaths.

> juDmoS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level