tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 01 13:44:41 1999

RE: KLBC: tuv'el mu'tlheghmey QIp

jatlh tuv'el:

> 	bIHe'So'qu'mo' 'ej 'ev tIngDaq nughoStaHmo' SuS, jIH chan yIQam.
>
> 	Qu'vatlh!  I forgot the word SuS.

qay'be'. qaS qagh. (really bad attempt at a cross language joke. HIbuSHa')

> If I read the explanation correctly, jIH chan without the
> -Daq is correct.  I used -Daq on 'ev tIng, because I was
> trying to convey the idea that the wind was blowing from
> that direction.

Actually, since the wind is blowing *from* the west, the suffix should be
<-vo'>, not <-Daq>.

The explanation I think you are referring to is the recent newsgroup post
about the difference between <jIH chan> and <chanwIj>, with <chanwIj> being
the normal form, and <jIH chan> being subtly different and less common. In
your sentence, <jIH chan> actually works.

In any case, you still need the <-Daq>. Without it, the <jIH chan> would
have to be the object of <Qam>, which just doesn't make sense.

> I was also wondering about the double use of -mo'.
> Is it correct?  Is it needed?

lugh 'ej 'ut.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian