tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Aug 29 17:28:41 1999

Re: qay' aspect jay'! Part 2

In a message dated 8/10/1999 8:41:50 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< As I see the repetitive thing, it has more to do with the
 continuity of the action. {pIj chechtaH nuvpu' law'} as you
 quoted me was chosen with {-taH} because I meant that many
 people are often in a continuous state of being drunk. There is
 no sense that they are becoming drunk or recovering from being
 drunk. When you witness them, they are drunk and as you witness
 them, they remain drunk.

 voragh's {reH jabbI'IDghomvam laDtaH voragh net Sov!} suggests
 that if you visited him, he'd be at the keyboard when you walked
 in and while you visited, he'd stay at the keyboard and when you
 left, he would still be at the keyboard. If instead, he greeted
 you at the door and you had a pleasant visit and every now and
 then, he walked over to the keyboard and answered a message or
 two and then returned, then he probably should have said, {reH
 jabbI'IDghomvam laDqa' voragh net Sov!}

 Does this make sense? There is a difference between saying that
 he is always doing it vs. saying that he is always doing it
 AGAIN. The latter implies that the action is broken and
 repetitive rather than continuous. >>
qatlho', charghwI'.  'ej Satlho', Hoch.  jIHvaD lI' jabbI'IDvam.
mughojmoHlaH De'vam rurbogh De'.

peHruS

Back to archive top level