tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 23 13:42:42 1999

RE: reH Su'ba'pa' quS yInuD. / KLBC

jatlh pIl'o':

> qen  jItaHvIS  qaSchoHlu'pu'.

<jItaHvIS> ??!? ghaytan bong wot Danop.

> HIq  vIjabtaHvIS  yopwaHHom  runqu'  vItuQtaH.

<run> is described as "be short (in stature)", so it apply to people,
animals, most likely trees and buildings, but probably not things like
pants.

> machchu'qu'  yopwaHHomvam'e'.

vIqelDI' jImon. bIDojba'. jIyepnIS - one small typo (-be' instead of -ba'),
which I made but soon corrected, could have been very bad here. qatIch
vIneHbe'ba'. bIHopbe'chugh ghaytan choHoH!

> quSDaq  HIq  Humqu'  lIchchoHlu'pu'  'e'  vISovbe'.

lIchlu'lI''a' qaStaHvIS wanI' DaDelbogh? If not, then it's probably better
to say just <lIchlu'pu'>. The <-choH> means that the <HIq Humqu'> had
*begun* to pour, and implies that it may well be still pouring.

> quSvetlhDaq  vIba'ta'.

<jIba'ta'>.

> pay'  vIHotchoHchu'.  'uptaH  ghu'.   jIQeH.   jImogh.

va.

> tuQmoHvaD  pa'Daq  vItuQHa'moHtaHvIS  jIHoj.

<tuQmoHvaD> doesn't work. I think you meant <tuQmoHmeH>.

Also, <tuQ> is a rather strange word. Using it effectively can require some
strangeness involving <-'egh> and <-moH>. Making it even more complicated is
the definition of <tuQHa'moH> and even worse <tuQmoH> in TKD. Just plain
<tuQ> is easy: <yopwaH vItuQ> - "I am wearing pants".

The hard part comes when you want to put on those pants. Based on the
definition of <tuQmoH> in TKD, this would probably be <yopwaH vItuQmoH>.
Unfortunately, this goes against the way it should work. Based on everything
we know about <-moH>, <yopwaH vItuQmoH> should mean "I cause the pants to
wear (clothes)", which makes no sense. The object of <tuQmoH> should be
someone else, as in <DuSaQ ghoSpa' puqwI' vItuQnISmoH> - "I have to dress my
child before school". If you turn your head sideways and pound it into the
wall a few times, you can make the definitions in TKD for <tuQHa'moH> and
<tuQmoH> agree with this way of doing things. So which is it - is <tuQmoH>
another weird example like <lo'laH> or are the definitions in TKD just . . .
poorly phrased? I don't know, but I suspect it is the latter.

For putting clothes on yourself, you can clearly say <jItuQ'eghmoH>. For
putting on a specific article of clothing, like the aforementioned pants,
you can't really say it easily using the grammar we know about. *ALERT* -
the following is controversial grammar, and should not be taken as
authoratative - *ALERT*. I strongly suspect, however, that you can say
<yopwaH vItuQ'eghmoH> without a problem.

Getting back to your original sentence, it would probably go like this:

tuQ'eghmoHmeH pa'Daq vItuQHa''eghmoHtaHvIS jIHoj.

> Say'law'taH  yopwaH  HomwIj  'e'  vItu'.

maj. Careful about the spaces in <yopwaHHomwIj>, though.

> puchpa'Daq  jISay''eghchoHmoHlI'.

maj.

> 'ach  DIrwIj  vISay'laHbe'chu'.

<vISay'moHlaHbe'chu'>.

> *soap  vIlo'pu'  'ej  *detergent  vIlo'pu'
> 'ej  *isopropyl  vIlo'pu'.

> 'ach  loQ  'o'wIj  ('o' ngechwIj?)  Humlaw'taw'.

The verb <Humlaw'taH> should go before the subject. And <'o' ngechwIj> is
very descriptive and works well. 'ach DaH tlhIngan Hol laDlaHbe'mo'
be'nalwI' jIbel :)

> DIrwIjvo'  Qopchu'meH  pughHom  Hum  'ej vIloSnISta'.

I assume you meant <'e' vIloSnIS>. Also, the <-ta'> doesn't make sense,
unless you meant <-ba'>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ