tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 23 13:00:00 1999

RE: greetings

> for all intents and purposes, it <S'Q> does not need to be differentiated
> from <SQ> in terms of pronunciation. the <'> is there purely for visual
> purposes, like the "n" in autumn and the "p" in psychology (i know it
doesnt
> work like that linguistically, but it gets the point across).

That's like saying that <SQ> doesn't need to be differentiated from <SngQ>.
<'> is a consonant, Paramount writers notwithstanding.

> to be honest i
> did *not* in fact know that i was breaking these (or any) rules. i am new
> this tlhIngan Hol, so i am not really familiar with all the nuances of the

> language yet.
> but seeing as you are all being so nice about this, and seeing as i like
the
> word S'Qal (wrong as it is) so much, i believe i'll take the advantage and

> keep it.

Good for you!  :)  Ultimately, it's your name, and you need to find
something that you'll like and be happy with.  You're not the first to use a
name that doesn't follow Klingon phonology.  There was {r'Hul}, who argued
strongly for her name.  I try not to think about how I'd pronounce names
like {DloraH}.  :)

> if nothing else it will give you all something to baulk at every time you
> see it!! }}};-))

If nothing else, it will give you a name by which we can come to identify
you.  Enjoy, and welcome!

--Holtej

tlhIngan-Hol mailing list FAQ