tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 23 12:47:32 1999

RE: Learning like children [KLBC?]

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
>>> Learning vocabulary will come almost automatically if you
>>> make an effort to read and translate the Klingon postings
>>> that appear regularly on this mailing list.

jatlh Tammy:
>> God knows, I've tried.  Most of them go straight over my
>> unridged head!!

jatlh qonwI':
> bIDubmeH, bIqeqnIS.

> SKI (Summary for the Klingon Impaired): In order to improve,
> you must practice.]

>>> The best way I know of to learn Klingon is to *use* it.
>>> Start reading and translating the ongoing conversations.
>>> When you feel the urge to jump in with a comment, say it
>>> in Klingon.

>> I'll give it a try but, being English and full of 'British
>> Reserve' I'm absolutely terrified of making an absolute
>> idiot of myself.

> naDev tlhIngan Hol wIjatlh! tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh 'e'
> DanIDchugh, bIquv'eghmoH. [*{England}ngan jIH je!]

maj. bIlughba'.

> SKI: We speak Klingon here! If you try to speak Klingon,
> you will be regarded with honor. [And I'm English, too...]

> yInlIj tIqjaj 'ej bIchepjaj! 'ach bIHeghtaHvIS, bIHaghjaj!

This should be <tIqjaj yInlIj ...>, unless of course you have a glass in
your raised hand. Toasts in Klingon have special grammar, putting the verb
*after* the subject rather than before it, but this grammar applies only to
toasts, and not every sentence with <-jaj> on the verb.

> SKI: a translation of your sig line. (Heh. Good quote.)

> By the way, I make *NO* guarantee of the standard of the
> Klingon in this post. ({pagh} latlh pabpo' pagh,
> QaghmeywIj tIlughmoH!)

Much as I like the sound of my own name, this really should be ({pagh},
latlh pabpo' ghap, ...), or even more likely <... joq, ...>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ