tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 02 13:56:14 1999

Re: pa'mey wamtaH

quljIb:
>> pa'qoq vISuqchugh jar Hoch loSSaD cha'maH vagh DarSeqmey vIDIl.

charghwI':
>loQ mumISmoH <<jar Hoch>>. wa' jar naQ DaDIl'a'? wa' DIS naQ DaDIl'a'?

quljIb:
: I'm trying to convey the fact that the rent would come to $425/month.

How about:

  pa' DaDabmeH Hoch jar $425 DaDIlnIS.

  Hoch jar pa' DaDabmeH $425 DaDIlnIS.

When {Hoch} follows the noun, {jar Hoch} means "all of the month, the month's
all, the month's everything".  (This idea is better expressed with the quality
{naQ}: {jar naQ} "the entire month, the whole month, a full month".)  When
{Hoch} precedes the noun it acts like a number - with a twist, depending on
whether the noun is singular or plural:

  {Hoch jar}    "each month"
  {Hoch jarmey} "every month (all the months)"

This explanation of {Hoch} is not in TKD but was revealed by Okrand in the KLI
journal "HolQeD" (issue 5.2), so it's not surprising that you missed it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level