tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 19 08:52:33 1999

Kahless the Unforgettable

If the following questions cover old ground, it's for one of two reasons:  I'm new to this list, and for several years I've been living in Moscow, where the Web is my only source of information on tlhingan Hol.  I'd thank you in advance for your advice, but that would be somewhat un-Klingon.

1) How does one say "Kahless the Unforgettable," "Unforgettable Kahless," or, for that matter, "Kahless cannot be forgotten"?  The best I could come up with is qeylIS lIjlu'laHbe' for all three expressions (or perhaps qeylIS lIjlu'laHbe'bogh for the first).  But this violates the prohibition against using two suffixes of one type (Type 5) in the same verb structure.

2) How then would you say "for Kahless the Unforgettable" (using the preposition)?

3) Using the weaker epithet lIjlu'be' (unforgotten), I can say qeylIS lIjlu'be' vIlob  (I obey Kahless the Unforgotten) and qeylIS lIjlu'be'bogh vIlob (I obey Kahless who is not forgotten), which are grammatically distinct, but more or less identical in meaning.  Similarly:  De' lI' lughaj (they have useful information) and lI'bogh De' lughaj (they have information that is useful).  Am I getting this right?

You can call me qa'ral

Back to archive top level