tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 16 07:42:06 1999

bIrel toQDuj 'oH'a' <Karagga>'e'?

quljIb:
>  Okay, now I KNOW someone is researching Klingonaase and inserting it here
> and there in recent episodes. In this week's DS9 episode ("Penumbra") Worf
> was in command of the K'Vort class BoP "Karagga".

quljIb again:
: I just checked my notes; based on the number of escape pods, the "Karagga"
: was probably a <bIrel toQDuj>.

I wondered about that.  Something didn't seem quite right to me.

The Karagga had 12 pods, one of which held Worf.  Since the crew complement
{wey} of a B'rel is about 12 officers and men, there is one pod per
crewman.  At first glance, there's no problem.  But... that's pretty darn
luxurious for the Klingons - both the concept of everyone having an escape
pod or the idea that Klingons wouldn't cram 2-4 crewman in each one.  (As
K'Ehleyr remarked after crawling out of her torpedo-sized high-warp coffin
in TNG "The Emissary", Klingons aren't supposed to worry about comfort.)
It's almost what you'd expect on decadent Federation ships.

But if the Karagga was a K'Vort, there wouldn't have been nearly enough
pods for everyone.  (Isn't the crew complement of a K'Vort around 200?)
Perhaps they are reserved for the bridge crew and command staff, or just
the officers {yaS}, leaving the troops {QaS} and assorted civilian crewmen
{beq} to Sto'Vo'Kor and/or the Black Fleet {yo' qIj}.  Even though

	DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan.
	To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon. [TKW p74]

rank may still have it's privileges, especially among Klingons.  In fact,
before this I don't believe we've ever heard of Klingon ships even having
escape pods - {narghmeH bobcho'mey}?  There are none listed on the recent
cutaway BoP poster.

Of course without them, the writers would have been forced to figure out
another way for Worf to be rescued.

Steven Boozer   University of Chicago Library   [email protected]

Back to archive top level