tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 16 10:46:15 1999

Re: bIrel toQDuj 'oH'a' <Karagga>'e'?

At 07:51 AM 4/16/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I wondered about that.  Something didn't seem quite right to me.
>
>The Karagga had 12 pods, one of which held Worf.  Since the crew complement
>{wey} of a B'rel is about 12 officers and men,

jIQoch, ghaytan wa'maH yaS, cha'maH beq ghaj bIrel toQDuj.

I've often wondered about this.  In ST. III Sulu stated that the crew
compliment of a BOP was 12 officers and men.  I took that to mean that the
total crew compliment was 12.  However, the BOP which Dukat captured had a
crew of 36.  I wonder if Sulu didn't mean 12 officers plus the crew.  That
would account for all this

SuSvaj

there is one pod per
>crewman.  At first glance, there's no problem.  But... that's pretty darn
>luxurious for the Klingons - both the concept of everyone having an escape
>pod or the idea that Klingons wouldn't cram 2-4 crewman in each one.  (As
>K'Ehleyr remarked after crawling out of her torpedo-sized high-warp coffin
>in TNG "The Emissary", Klingons aren't supposed to worry about comfort.)
>It's almost what you'd expect on decadent Federation ships.
>
>But if the Karagga was a K'Vort, there wouldn't have been nearly enough
>pods for everyone.  (Isn't the crew complement of a K'Vort around 200?)
>Perhaps they are reserved for the bridge crew and command staff, or just
>the officers {yaS}, leaving the troops {QaS} and assorted civilian crewmen
>{beq} to Sto'Vo'Kor and/or the Black Fleet {yo' qIj}.  Even though
>
>	DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan.
>	To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon. [TKW p74]
>
>rank may still have it's privileges, especially among Klingons.  In fact,
>before this I don't believe we've ever heard of Klingon ships even having
>escape pods - {narghmeH bobcho'mey}?  There are none listed on the recent
>cutaway BoP poster.
>
>Of course without them, the writers would have been forced to figure out
>another way for Worf to be rescued.

>Steven Boozer   University of Chicago Library   [email protected]

Back to archive top level