tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 16 09:54:20 1999

Re: bIrel toQDuj 'oH'a' <Karagga>'e'?

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999, Steven Boozer wrote:

quljIb:
> : I just checked my notes; based on the number of escape pods, the "Karagga"
> : was probably a <bIrel toQDuj>.

> I wondered about that.  Something didn't seem quite right to me.
>
> The Karagga had 12 pods, one of which held Worf.  Since the crew complement
> {wey} of a B'rel is about 12 officers and men, there is one pod per
> crewman.  At first glance, there's no problem.  But... that's pretty darn
> luxurious for the Klingons - both the concept of everyone having an escape
> pod or the idea that Klingons wouldn't cram 2-4 crewman in each one.  (As
> K'Ehleyr remarked after crawling out of her torpedo-sized high-warp coffin
> in TNG "The Emissary", Klingons aren't supposed to worry about comfort.)
> It's almost what you'd expect on decadent Federation ships.
>
> But if the Karagga was a K'Vort, there wouldn't have been nearly enough
> pods for everyone.  (Isn't the crew complement of a K'Vort around 200?)
> Perhaps they are reserved for the bridge crew and command staff, or just
> the officers {yaS}, leaving the troops {QaS} and assorted civilian crewmen
> {beq} to Sto'Vo'Kor and/or the Black Fleet {yo' qIj}.  Even though
>
> 	DujDaj HubtaHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan.
> 	To die defending his ship is the hope of every Klingon. [TKW p74]
>
> rank may still have it's privileges, especially among Klingons.  In fact,
> before this I don't believe we've ever heard of Klingon ships even having
> escape pods - {narghmeH bobcho'mey}?  There are none listed on the recent
> cutaway BoP poster.
>
> Of course without them, the writers would have been forced to figure out
> another way for Worf to be rescued.

Hmm...point. I just wasn't certain a Starfleet rank of Leutenant Commander
would justify command of a K'Vort BoP. Or is this a sign of how much
Martok trusts the Son of Mogh?

quljIb

Back to archive top level