tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 12 15:08:25 1999

RE: KLBC: HIboQ

loD Doq:
> My question: "What is the proper translation of 'I haven't been in an
> open shed like this since I was a boy... which at this point seems a
> good 2,00 years ago.'?"
>
> *JEFF: cha'SaD benqoq loDHom 'ej tuqHomDaq vI'elta'

pagh:
: To start with, phrases like "I haven't since ..." are difficult in Klingon.
: I wonder if it's even necessary. How's this:
:
: loDHom jIHtaHvIS, qach poSDaq jIQam. qachvam rurqu' qachvetlh. cha'SaD ben
: qaSlaw' jajvetlh DaH 'e' vInoH.

A quick vocabulary note.  pagh changed your *{tuqHom} to {qach} without
commenting on the difference between {tuq} "house, tribe (ancestral unit)"
vs. {juH] "house, home (building)" vs. {qach} "building, structure".  {tuq}
is a social group to which one belongs, not a building one can enter (e.g.
{mogh tuq} the House of Mogh).  Okrand provided {juHHom} "cottage" in TKD
as an example {-Hom}, which word also works for "shack, cabin," etc.
{qachHom} is another possibility.  I suppose if you live in it you can say
{juHHom}, if not use the more general {qachHom}.

BUT... on reading your extract, does "shed" even mean a building here, or
some sort of natural feature?  The characters seem to be outdoors admiring
the landscape, not crammed in a shack:

> J: It's a very picturesque view of the glen.
> M: Why thank you.
> J: What for?
> M: For likin' where I brought ya'. You've made me very happy.
> J: You get happy very easily don't you?
> M: Ay.
> J: I haven't been in an open shed like this since I was a boy...
>    which at this point seems a good 2,000 years ago.
> M: You mean you're tired?
> J: 'Ay lassie' I'm tired.
> M: I didn't think that a walk through the woods would fatigue
> 	 such a young man as yourself.
> J: That is either a deliberate lie, or wishful thinking: I am
> 	 ancient, decrepid, and disintigrating... rapidly.

Checking my Webster's dictionary, I find:

1. a slight structure built for shelter or storage; especially
	 a) a single-storied building with one or more sides unenclosed
	 b) a building that resembles a shed
2. archaic: hut
3. a divide of land

In light of definition 3, could an "open shed" be a Scottish term for a
part of a glen, forest {ngem}?  This seems likely if you check the Oxford
English Dictionary:

	4. Sc. `A portion of land, as distinguished from that which is adjacent'
	(Jam.); a division of land larger than the `rig'. ? Obs. (Cf. sheth.)

	1473 Rental Bk. Cupar-Angus (1879) I. 171 Tha sal pairt the toun in twa,
	gif it ma be, and gif it ma nocht, it salbe partyt in scheddis.

	1588 Reg. Mag. Sig. Scot. 790/1 Acram terre arabilis continentem 4 lie
	lang-riggis contigue in uno lie sched.

	1670 Lamont Diary 30 May (Maitland Club) 220 [A great storm of thunder
	and lightning] att night; it did scorch and spoile some sheads of corne
	at Lawderdaill.

I assume "Sc." means "Scottish".  A type of field {yotlh} maybe?  Reading
on...

	5. A ridge of high ground dividing two valleys or tracts of lower country;
	a `divide'. Cf. watershed. (The meaning in quot. 1530 is obscure.)

	1530 Palsgr. 266/2 Schedde of an hyll, tertre.

	1876 A. J. Evans Through Bosnia i. 25 The Styrian mountains seem to form a
	shed between the areas of German and Italian influences.

	1891 Century Dict., Shed. 3. The slope of land or of a hill: as, which way
	is the shed?

	Comb.

	1850 Ogilvie, Shed-line, the summit line of elevated ground; [1882 adds]
	the line of the watershed.

Aha!  "Watershed".  Perhaps {HuDHom} will work here?  Are they up on a hill
looking down on the glen?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons