tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 06 19:41:32 1999

RE: KLBC : jIchu'

Welcome to the list. You've obviously already heard the BG spiel, so I'll
spare you.

jatlh chong:

> Qapla'

> pongwIj 'oH _chong_

Normally, the suffix <-'e'> is placed on the noun after the <'oH>, so:

pongwIj 'oH chong'e'.

> not QIn vIgItlh 'ach qaplI' chajwIj vaj QIn vIgItlhnIS

I think <wej> would be better than <not> here. You've written one now, so
"never" is clearly not the right word. You should also be careful with your
<chaj>. The word is used to refer to a close female friend of a female. If
either one of you is male, you have made a very derogatory remark about this
person. Also, you should the suffix <-wI'> rather than <-wIj>.

> tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom vIghaj 'ej 'ay'mey vIlaD

maj.

> 'ach naQ mu'ghom vIlaDbe'

<naQ> is kind of tricky. To start with, you should place the "adjective"
(it's really a verb) *after* the noun. This is also a case where translation
can get confusing. <mu'ghom naQ> is "whole/complete/entire dictionary", and
the <naQ> describes the dictionary itself, not the part you read. If I read
ten pages of a six hundred page book, I could still say <paq naQ vIlaD>.

What you want is <mu'ghom Hoch> - literally something like "the all of the
dictionary".

Finally, this sentence would be just a little better if you said either <wej
... vIlaD> or <vIlaDpu'be'> instead of just <vIlaDbe'>.

> jIghojtaH 'ej jIlaDtaH

maj.

> jItul 'e' tuyajchu' Hoch

You have the right idea with <'e'> here, but you got the parts backward. The
thing that goes before the <'e'> is a sentence in its own right, and the
<'e'> turns it into the object of the second verb. So for you sentence ("I
hope that you all (y'all) understand me clearly"), you want "Y'all
understand me clearly" to be the thing *before* the <'e'>:

tuyajchu' Hoch 'e' vItul.

> tugh jIlabqa'

maj. jIloSlI'.

pagh