tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 09:10:01 1999

RE: KLBC

: jatlh Dave:
:
: > Once thing I don't quite understand about Klingon, is it seems to lack the
: > verb "to be" ("it is", "they are" etc..)
:
: bIlughbej. Klingon has no verb "to be". Cool, yes?

Just like some human languages.  Russian, for example - at least in the
present tense.

: > Also, do it seems that mu' HaqwI' is missing the word for bloodwine. Is
: > this explainable, or should I download a dictionary revision?
:
: mu' HaqwI' vIlo'be'mo' jIH jISovbe'.

mu' HaqwI' vIlo'be' jIH je 'ach "Klingon for the Galactic Traveller" paq
vIghaj.  The word is {'Iw HIq} - two words in Klingon, one in English:

	Since certain drinks are typically associated with certain containers,
	saying the type of drink plus {HIvje'} indicates the type of cup or
	glass as well: {'Iw HIq HIvje'} ("bloodwine glass") (KGT p.98)

	latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
	Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! (KGT p.118)

	HIq qIj reghuluS 'Iw HIq ghap jab.
	They serve Black Ale or Regulan bloodwine. (CK )

: pagh
: Beginners' Grammarian

--
Voragh