tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 22:29:04 1998

RE: KLBC : HIja' and HISlaH

lab Arlen:
> Hello!
nuqneH

> I'm not sure whether this a common query or not, but I'd
> appreciate assistance.

> As a beginner, among the very first words that I have learnt, are
> *yes* and *no*, or _HIja'_ and _ghobe'_ , I am confused as to the
> number of words (2) for yes.

This question does get asked from time to time. According to the dictionary,
they are completely equivalent to each other, and both are used with roughly
equal frequency.

In practice among the speakers on this list (none of whom have EVER met a
real Klingon), <HIja'> gets used significantly more than <HISlaH>. <HISlaH>
is sometimes used when the speaker wants to be clear or add emphasis. Keep
in mind that none of this is official, and it's just specualtion about how
the real language works.

Other word pairs like <HIja'> and <HISlaH> include <luq> & <lu'>, <'ach> &
<'a>, and <SaD> and <SanID>.

You say <tomeyto>, I say <tomato> ...

> What is the significance of the name *rIymuS* in the tlhIngan
> mu'ghom? Does it have something to do with Romulans?

Can't help you there.

>-----

Qapla' ! ____
ŻŻŻŻŻŻ /Arlen\
ŻŻŻŻŻ
P.S. I just thought of something *really* cool, if not somewhat hopeful.
With all of you exalted speakers of the tlhIngan Hol, imagine if Paramount
wanted to make a movie (or series episode) that featured a whole gang of
honoured Klingons? What we have here is a virtual reservoir of beings who
make speaking the "Warriors Tongue" a serious hobby, or even an occupation,
if Paramount were cool (hmm) then they could put all of you in a movie, and
save time on teaching actors how to pronounce the language. Only in dreams
huh?

>-----

manajlaH neH!

pagh