tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 27 22:52:04 1998

RE: KLBC - jIDel'egh

lab qonwI':

> pagh, QaghmeywIj DaqarmoH.

I think you have the wrong prefix on <qar>. Your sentence is a statement of
fact, which I am making true by writing this message. If you wish to *ask*
me to correct your errors, rather than just assuming I will and saying so,
you should use the imperative <tI-> prefix.

Also, I think <lughmoH> is better than <qarmoH> here. I would use <qarmoH>
for correcting facts or data, but not for grammar.

pagh, QaghmeywIj tIlughmoH.

> batlh tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhrup.
> cha'maH Hu' jabbI'IDghom vImuv 'ej 'op jabbI'IDmeyraj vIyaj.

maj. bIqeqqangtaHchugh, Hoch DalaDlaH 'ej DayajlaH.

> Dajbejqu' tlhIngan Hol!

Dajqu'bej. (This is a comment of agreement from me, not a correction).

> vIghItlh 'e' vItIvmo', ghojghachwIj vItaHqang.

<-ghach> cannot go on a bare verb stem. Unless there is at least one suffix
between the verb and the <-ghach>,  the usage is "marked" (ie weird), and
should be avoided. <-ghach> is a fairly strange animal, and you should
probably avoid using it until you are more familiar with the language. I've
only used it one or two times myself.

You are also using <taH> transitively here to mean "I will continue my
learning". English verbs can often be used phrases like "the stick broke"
(intransitive) and "the stick broke the cup" (transitive), but most Klingon
verbs can only be used one way of these two ways. Fortunately, we have the
suffix <-moH>, which is used to turn something like "the stick broke" into
"the stick broke the cup". See TKD section 4.2.4 (?) for more on <-moH>.

The best way to fix both these problems is to simplify the second bit:

vIghItlh 'e' vItIvmo', vIghojqangtaH.

> wa'maH Soch ben jIH. [ qar'a'? <wa'maH Soch ben jIboghbe'>
> vIjatlhnIS'a'? ]

The standard Klingon idiom for "I am X years old" is <X ben jIbogh>.

> DuSaQDaq DIvI' Holmey [<English> Hol <French> Hol je] vIghoj.

> tugh jIqonqa'.

maj.

> ==
> Question: The last-but-one phrase was intended to be something like:
> At school, I am learning the Federation Languages - English and French.
> Does the syntax I've used work for this?

Works for me.

Back to archive top level