tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 22 01:11:37 1998

RE: KLBC: interface?

lab QoreQ:

> Savan,

> chay' tlhInganDaq /interface/ vIjatlh?
> How would I say /interface/ in Klingon?
> (as in computer interface).

To start with, <tlhInganDaq> doesn't work. <-Daq> can only be used for
physical concepts like "in the room" or "on the table", but can't work for
things like languages or ideas. Think about what "in Klingon" means - it
really the same thing as "while I speak Klingon" or "while I use Klingon".
Also, since quotations are never objects of verbs, you have the wrong prefix
on <jatlh>. Finally, <tlhIngan> cannot be used by itself for the name of the
language. The language is always called <tlhIngan Hol>. Here's what I
suggest:

tlhIngan Hol vIlo'taHvIS, chay' /interface/ jIjatlh?

What kind of "interface" are you talking about. For most hardware
interfaces, <rarwI'> would work quite well. If you're talking about "user
interface", then it gets a bit more complicated. I really don't want to get
into a long discussion of computer science and human(oid) interaction
factors right now - it's late - but a couple of phrases to consider are
<HaSta> and <De'wI' lo'meH mIw>. If you have questions about these or want
to discuss it further, please reply.

> /jIH/ vItu' 'ach mu'vetlh lugh 'e' jIbejbe'.
> I found /jIH/ but I'm not sure it is the right word.

<jIH> is a monitor or viewscreen, much like the one I am sitting in front of
right now. I think of <jIH> as the piece of hardware (CRT, LCD panel, etc.)
itself, and not what it is displaying. Other related words include <HaSta> -
"visual display (n)", <cha'> - "show, display (v)", and <wIy> - "tactical
display". I think the word you are looking for is <HaSta>.

> 'ej chay' wa' mu'Daq /go back (return to a previous place)/ vIjatlh?
> Also, how would I say /go back (return to a previous place)/ in one word?

> 'elHa'?
> ghoS pagh ghoSHa'? This word does not seem to work because it
> can mean both go ahead and go away from. The only way to make the
> distinction would be by the use of nouns.

Same comments as above regarding <-Daq>.

We have the word <chegh>, which means "return". That should satisfy your
meaning.

> vay' jIQaHlaH'a'?
> Can anybody help me?

You've just said "anyone ... Can I help?". Remember Klingon setnence order -
object verb subject. Here the object is "me" (you, that is), and the subject
is "anyone". Looking that up in the prefix table, you get <mu->, and
rearranging the sentence to correct it:

muQaHlaH'a' vay'?

HIja'. qaQaHlaHbej. Qu'wIj 'oH.
Yes, I can help you. It's my job.