tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 22 01:19:01 1998

RE: *England*Daq qepHom

bIcheghmo' mabel. And I took the hint...

lab Matthew Peperell:

> Hello All,
>
> After a long absence I have returned.
> nI' poHpuS, DaH vIcheghta'.

The prefix in the second part should be <jI->. You have not returned
*something* - you have just plain returned.

I really don't understand the first bit - <nI' poHpuS>. What I suggest you
do here is rephrase the thing. "After a long absence ..."

> Unfortunately my Klingon is not great, but I'm willing to learn.
> Do'Ha' HoSbe' tlhIngan Hol laHwIj 'ach jIghojqang.
> 	( Subtle cue for the grammarians :-)  )

Interesting use of <HoS>. I think I like it.

> On Decmber 12th I will be hosting a qepHom in the city of Manchester,
> England.
> tugh Manchester vengDaq qepHom jImuch.
> 	(not quite sure how to express terran dates yet)

The prefix on <much> should be <vI->.

> All those who wish to attend are welcome.  Just email me or phone me
> before so I have an idea of numbers.
> bIghomqangchugh vaj ghaHDaq HechlIj yIQum.

'Iv ghaH <ghaH>lIj'e'? I think you meant <jIH> instead. I don't have my
reference materials handy, but I'm pretty sure <Hech> is only a verb. Also,
the whole phrase <jIHDaq HechlIj yIQum> is a bit awkward. I suggest a far
simpler one: <HIrI'>. <rI'> is unfortunately a rather underused word, and I
am trying to correct that.

> Come along and Join us and speak klingon with honour.
> Ha' ghomuv 'ej batlh tlhIngan Hol yIjatlh.

Since I would pause after <Ha'> when speaking, I would put a comma there
when writing. It helps it flow a bit better.

> Whether you are attending or not and you have a few suggestions for
> entertainment then please let me know.
>
> batlh tlhIngan Hol vIghoj.

maj. batlh yIghojtaH. mataHmeH maSachnIS.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian.

Back to archive top level