tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 20 07:49:43 1998

RE: KLBC searching for thlIngan word

: lab QaneS:
: > The context I am looking for is in the sense of respect from
: > great achivements.  In the sense of glory AND honour.  The
: > phrase I am working on sees the two as seperate aspects that
: > a great warrior posesses. Does that make sense? (ie: am I
: > making sense? ;) ) Thanks again.
:
: I see what you're saying, but I'm not sure I know what the difference is.
: See if you can explain to yourself how "honour" and "glory" are different in
: this context. I can't figure it out.
:
: The words you could use here include <batlh>, <quv>, <naD>, and <van>. Think
: about them and pick the ones you like best.
:
: pagh

Other words to consider are <noy> "be famous, be well-known" and <Dun> "be
wonderful, be great", as in

  ta'mey Dun, bommey Dun.
  Great deeds, great songs. TKW

In the right context, <ta'mey Dun> might be translated as "deeds of glory" or
"glorious deeds", which may be appropriate if you view glory as a type of fame
worthy of commemoration in song.  Don't get hung up on finding an exact
one-to-one equivalent, particularly in matters of judgment and taste.  A
Klingon's view of glory will not be the same as that of a Human, a Vulcan or
even a Ferengi.

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level