tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 18 17:18:55 1998

RE: KLBC

lab valQIS:

> If I remove the imperative HI from speak does the sentence
> lose clarity. I'm assuming that without HI it would be more
> clipped Klingon. Would this still be a proper sentence.
>
> Is HI needed ?

Without the <HI->, it would not be a "proper" sentence, but if Clipped
Klingon is appropriate in the context you are speaking in, it would be OK as
Clipped Klingon. It would lose the "... to me" meaning as well. Since you
dropped the prefix, anyone hearing it would assume the prefix is the most
common one, which would be  <yI->.

>> lab valQIS:
>>
>> > How would I say:
>> >
>> > Ancient blood, speak to me.
>> > I come up with : HIjatlh 'IwtIQ
>> >
>> > Please offer any and all suggestions
>>
>> This is quite close. I have only two minor corrections.
>> First, the noun <'Iw> and the verb <tIQ> need to stay
>> separate words. <'Iw tIQ> is "ancient blood", but
>> <'IwtIQ> isn't really anything. Second, I would put a
>> comma after <HIjatlh>, and I would pauses slightly
>> after saying it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level