tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 18 12:46:35 1998

Re: Canonical Question: Radio Times?

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:15:46 -0800 (PST) Dawut
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> While exploring the KLI website, I noticed that the entry:
>
> --
> ghaytanHa' (adv) unlikely [British television magazine, "Radio Times"]
> --
>
> appears on the KLI Additional Canon Words page.
>
> While I do not question the fact that this is a correctly formed word,
> I do wonder, "Why is this word included in a list of canonical words?
> What makes this canon? Did MO approve or acknowledge this as a canon word?"

He wrote it. It was a humorous article in which he translated
several rather Brittish phrases into Klingon. More precisely,
{ghaytanHa'} was translated by Okrand as "Not bloody likely!"

> The KLI Additional Canon Words page (/kli/newwords.html)
> qualifies the listed entries as words that "are missing from the dictionary
> (added later by Dr. Okrand) or were expanded upon after its publication."
> Was {ghaytanHa'} expanded upon or added by MO for this "Radio Times" show?

Yes.

> qo'mey poSmoH Hol.
>
> Dawut (David)
> [email protected]
> ICQ98a: 5051098

There are still more words coming. For anyone who can find it,
Okrand wrote the legend for a poster of a cutaway Bird Of Prey
that supposedly has lots of new words on it. I have not found it
yet. When I learn more, I'll post to the list. Especially, I'll
post any online source for this poster, if I can get the URL.

I just did some searches and could not find it. I half suspect
it is not published yet...

But as a group, we have resources, yes?

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level