tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 13 13:21:48 1998

Re: MO's punctuation

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:11:18 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> charghwI' wrote:
> : As a side note, it really helps to get page numbers so we can
> : check out the larger context of these references.
>
> Surely you've made your own index by now, qar'a'?

My Pilot-based AKD lists the source and page number. My MS
Access based AKD lists the same and quotes the source.
Meanwhile, I have to manually enter these while still trying to
coordinate my different dictionaries. I have other maintenance
to complete before I fill in much more to this indexing of
sources of canon.

The main reason is: I can ask you for this and you seem happy to
answer. When you answer, I check the entry and put it in my
AKDs. I thank you for that assistance.

Meanwhile, there is nobody else I can ask to help coordinate all
these dicationaries I'm maintaining. Add that I recently got
someone ELSE's word list with the field structure set up
slightly differently, and I'm trying to do a cross-pollination
between them to enrich all involved word lists.

So, my main focus is on the other stuff for now. I mostly dream
of an index of all canon. It's just too much while I live an
active life and try to learn French by next April.

If it wasn't for this inconvenience of working 40hr/week. Then
again, without the convenience of a paycheck, I doubt I'd be
doing better...

> : >   juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
> : >   I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
> : >   ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
> : >    commander of this ship.") KGT
>
> KGT p. 183f.
>
> : >   qab legh 'e' poQ
> : >   He/she demands to see a face. [challenge to a duel] KGT
>
> KGT p. 68.
>
> Actually, I don't have the page references in my AKD (which is the file I
> normally keep open whilst reading this list), but I do keep a searchable list
> so lablelled of all of Okrand's examples in a separate file at home to consult
> at times like these.

Awwwwwwwwww. You mean you haven't transferred all this
information between these different databases?

I will make the single comment that a little birdy told me that
Okrand really wants your program for checking canon. It would be
a great honor were you to make it available to him...

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

charghwI' 'utlh.

Back to archive top level