tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 07 18:24:55 1998

Re: KLBC Shakespears Sisters lyrics.

On 06-Nov-98, Andeen, Eric wrote:
> lab Zrajm:
>>
>> I've tried to translate a few lines from Shakespears Sister's
>> "Stay" into Klingon. And just wondered how I was doing. Could the
>> grammarian take a look at this?

> Often beginners choose to post a translation of Shakespeare for their first
> post. Shakespeare's Sister is probably not any better. You need to be able
> to express your OWN ideas before you can even think about translating
> somebody else's.

Well, you are ofcourse right, but it was just an idea and when I tried it
turned out to be an extremely difficult one. So I sought your expertise.
I have trouble letting go of an idea if I cannot fullfill it, and anyway we
always learn something, {qar'a'}?

Better to ask silly questions, than none at all.

> To translate someone else's writing, especially song lyrics or poetry, you
> have to have a deep understanding of the meaning of the work, and you have
> to have the tools to express that complex meaning in the new language. You
> don't have the tools to express these kinds of complex ideas in Klingon
> yet. You should start with posts describing you drive to work or school, or
> your dinner with your friends, or anything else you care to write about in
> YOUR life. You need to be able to write simple sentences to describe simple
> events and ideas of your own without effort before you try to use complex
> sentences to translate somebody else's complex ideas.

Sound advice, thank you.

  rut qech vIghajbe'DI' nuq vIjatlh?
  pagh vIjatlhchugh, tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaH'a'? =|;-)

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

/Greetz, Zrajm C

--
   Zrajm C Akfohg       Klingonska akademien   090-133423
   [email protected]   http://come.to/ka      ICQ:16769663

Back to archive top level