tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 14:31:50 1998

Re: Hotels

At 08:27 AM 11/9/98 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 23:56:45 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:
>
>> jIghIQtaHvIS mebpa'meymeyDaq jIQongpu'
>>
>> Or, is that just mebpa'mey which MO has given us for ONE hotel?
>>
>> peHruS
>
>*Indiana*Daq mebpa'mey vIghoS. wa' mebpa' neH vIlo'. mebpa'Daq
>jIQong.
>
>My sense is that Klingons don't refer to a hotel as a single
>entity as we do. A hotel is a collection of guest rooms. If you
>slept in more than one room, a Klingon would not necessarily
>care much about whether or not they were in different hotels. A
>guest room is a guest room.
>
>You might refer to staying at guest rooms at different sites if
>that difference is significant.

chaq motlh qach le' 'oHbe' mebpa''e'.  chaq qorDu' juHDaq HochHom
mebpa'mey tu'lu'.

Maybe Klingons generally don't have separate "hotels".  Maybe most
"guest rooms" are located in private houses (a usual practice in cultures
where tourism is not common).  As Qo'noS becomes more open to outsiders,
separate buildings devoted to guestrooms would appear, but it would be
such a new concept that the language has not caught up with it yet.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level