tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 14:09:47 1998

RE: CyberPete

lab Qov:

> I've been watching this message a couple days now, waiting for pagh to
> get to it, but it looks like he's busy and I *don't* want the only
> response Peter gets to his interest in Klingon to be abuse over
> posting Marc Okrand's telephone number.

Check your filters, Qov. I replied to it (complete with a very silly typo)
soon after it was posted. Since there was no subject, I replied with the
subject RE: (KLBC), which probably threw you off.

> jabbI'IDDaj bolaDqu'chugh wa'maH cha' ben bogh 'e' botu'.  petuv!
>
> ---CyberPete iHaveNone <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Could someone help me with klingon.
>
> Sure thing!  We're almost all willing to help.  The primary helper
> person right now is pagh, but he seems to have been busy the last
> couple of days, so I'm going to risk his wrath and answer dome of your
> questions for you.

SoHmo' not (wej?) jIQeHchoHpu'.

> >I'v got the dictionary
>
> Good.  That's necessary to learn.  You also need to read it.  Not just
> read the wordlist, but read the grammar at the front.  I recommend you
> start with sections 2 to 6.
>
> > but it's a hassel to look every word up.
>
> Yeah, isn't it?  I found it such a hassle I memorized it all.  If you
> want to speak and understand people speaking you will have to memorize
> a good number of the words.  ter'eS has written an excellent program
> to help you memorize them, available at
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711/kliflash.html and Holtej
> has written a program to help you read and write, called pojwI',
> available at http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/poj.htm

Looking up the words IS a hassle, but that is a good thing. If it were easy,
your brain would never bother to remember anything. Since it is a real pain
in the qIvon, your brain tries to avoid going through the effort of looking
things up by remembering them. Kind of an annoying system, but it works.

> Here are some easier sentences to try translating, once you've read
> the grammar.
>
> The commander conquers the planet.
> A student rescues the emperor.
> The child strokes a pet.
>
> Make sure you read section 6.1 or you will get the word order
> confused!
>
> Qapla'.
>
> And please, don't telephone Marc Okrand.  You're free to telephone ME,
> however.  (This goes for anyone who e-mails me for the phone number).
> I'll even speak English, if you ask nicely. :)

As always, Qov provides good advice.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level