tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 09:18:42 1998

Re: RE: KLBC Shakespears Sisters lyrics.

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 11:03:14 -0800 (PST) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Good question: {qoy'} has never been used in canon.  {tlhob}, however, has
> been
> and we know it can take an object:

This is very interesting, since the examples include PK's use of
{tlhob} as a verb of speech, since it preceeds the quotation, is
in the format of a direct quote and does not use {'e'}, and is
then used as the second verb in Sentence As Object in KGT in
what could be either a direct or indirect quote, depending upon
whether the person who is the object of {tlhob} is the same
person addressed in the quotation itself.

>   lutlhob: naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?
>   They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

Obviously, this is a direct quote and the colon is your
punctuation, not Okrand's. The object is the person addressed.

>   juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
>   I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
>   ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
>    commander of this ship.") KGT

This is an example of Okrand using what I can only interpret
as an indirect quotation. He uses {'e'} and the object of
{vItlhob} is the quotation, not the person addressed. It is
handled as if {tlhob} is simply not a verb of speech, but
instead is a verb which acts upon requests. The object is the
request, which is the previous sentence.

>   qatlhob
>   I ask you.  (ST-Continuum Klingon Lesson)

Here, it is back to being a verb of speech with the person
addressed as the object.

Very interesting. Likely it can be used either way. While used
as a verb of speech, its object is the person addressed. While
used with the request as object, it is not treated as a verb of
speech.

> .. as can {poQ}:
>
>   muSuvqu' DoS vIpoQ.  (??)
>   I need a target that fights back. ST5 [problematic line]

Looks like a dropped {-bogh} on {muSuvqu'}. Then again, ST5 has
a LOT of problematic lines.

>   qab legh 'e' poQ
>   He/she demands to see a face. [challenge to a duel] KGT

Looks normal enough.

As a side note, it really helps to get page numbers so we can
check out the larger context of these references.

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

charghwI'

Back to archive top level