tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 06 10:54:27 1998

RE: KLBC Shakespears Sisters lyrics.

: lab Zrajm:
: > Is there a way to say "pray to (a god or diety)" in Klingon,
: > or can I use {qoy'} "plead, beg" as if it meant that?
:
: <qoy'> seems to fit the idea quite well.

Consider using {tlhob} "request, ask, plead" instead.  I'm not sure of the
difference between the two -- perhaps {qoy'} is more servile as it encompasses
the idea of begging.  (Note the pun: to be "coy"!)  Also consider {ghel} "ask
(a question)", {naD} "praise, commend, approve" or even {poQ} "demand" (which
may actually be the more Klingon attitude to their gods, before they got
rid of
them).  It depends on what your idea of prayer is, which varies from religion
to relition.

: > You better hope and pray that you make it safe back to your
: > own world. {qo'lIjDaq bIcheghchu'; 'e' Datul 'ej 'e' Daqoy'.}
:
: Also, I don't believe <qoy'> can take an object like this. I may be wrong,
: but I think <qoy'> is probably intransitive and cannot take an object at
: all.
:
: pagh

Good question: {qoy'} has never been used in canon.  {tlhob}, however, has
been
and we know it can take an object:

  lutlhob: naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?
  They ask him, "Can we get to the Great Hall from here?" PK

  juDev 'ej Dujvam ra'wI' DagheS 'e' vItlhob
  I ask you to lead us as commander of this ship
  ("I request that you lead us and that you assume the duties of
   commander of this ship.") KGT

  qatlhob
  I ask you.  (ST-Continuum Klingon Lesson)

... as can {poQ}:

  muSuvqu' DoS vIpoQ.  (??)
  I need a target that fights back. ST5 [problematic line]

  qab legh 'e' poQ
  He/she demands to see a face. [challenge to a duel] KGT

Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level