tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 09 08:56:06 1998

Re: RE: KLBC -- Glass eating!

On Fri, 6 Nov 1998 13:38:40 -0800 (PST) "Michael A. Stumpe"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
>   I live in a college dorm, and there is a posting up which has "I eat
> glass, it does not hurt me" in many different languages; unfortunately,
> I can't find a Klingon word for glass (I assume they would be able to
> discover the process of making glass...).
>
>    Here's how I've translated it:
>
> 	Dochmey jej vISoplaH, mu'oy'be'
> 	I am able to eat sharp things, they do not hurt me.
>
>   How's this?  The sentence probably should have a semi-colon instead of
> of a comma, but that's how it's posted on the hallway.  Is there a word
> for glass in Klingon? I would like to possibly get this put alongside the
> others 8-)

There are different ways to translate this, depending on what
shade of meaning you want. There is no one right way to
translate this particular thought into Klingon:

HIvje' ghorlu'pu'bogh vISopchugh vaj jIrIQbe'taH.

"If I eat a broken drinking glass then I will continue to not be
injured."

HIvje' vIchoplaH 'ej vISoplaH 'ej jIrIQbe'taH.

I can chew and eat a drinking glass and not be injured.

Of course, we are all assuming these guys are talking about
shards of glass. Maybe they eat marbles. This is what
translating is all about. Expressions of ideas are always
incomplete. When you translate, you make assumptions. That's why
it is better to express your own thoughts than those of others.

moQ Hab mojpu'mo' Hapvam murIQmoHbe' HIvje' Hap vISopbogh.

> 				Michael
> 				(tlhIngan pong'a' vIneH!
> 				 I want a good Klingon name (?)...)

charghwI' 'utlh