tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 08 22:25:25 1998

RE: tlhIngan Hol vIjathlaHbe'

lab Nic:

> Qapla' Good People !

> My name is Nic, and i've just joined the list. I'm 18 male in
> England. I have owned a copy of Klingon Dictionary for a couple
> of months now, and started speaking klingon.

Welcome to the list, Nic. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon.
Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it for my attention by
putting the letters KLBC in the subject line.

> For my first project I tried translating Queen's Bohemia Rhapsody,
> but I gave up when I couldn't find the word 'Reality' in the
> Dictionary. Can anyone help ?

I really do advise you to avoid translating a song as your first Klingon
project. You need to be able to express your own ideas before you try to
interpret and translate somebody else's ideas. Add to that the fact that
poetry, including song lyrics, contains an awful lot of complex use of
language and metaphor, and it gets quite difficult, even for experienced
translators.

> I find the Klingon tradition and way fascinating (as setup by
> the book STAR TREK: A KLINGON WAY) does any one know of an
> 'official' web-site that can help ?

The 'official' web site for Star Trek in general can be found at
http://www.startrekcontinuum.com, and it contains a "Klingon Compendium". I
haven't poked around it much, but there does not seem to be much there of
substance.

Marc Okrand is the author of everything we know about the Klingon language,
and there is quite a bit of material available from him. You already know
about The Klingon Dictionary and The Klingon Way, and there is a third book,
published last year, called Klingon for the Galactic Traveller. There are
also two audio tapes: Conversational Klingon and Power Klingon. You should
be able to find the books at most bookstores (in the US and Canada anyway; I
don't know about England), but the tapes are harder to find. In any case,
you can order any of the materials you can't find locally from the KLI.

For UNofficial web sites, there is of course the Klingon Language Institute,
who sponsors this mailing list, at http://www.kli.org. The Klingon Imperial
Diplomatic Corps is one of the larger fan groups, and can be found at
http://www.klingon.org. The Kligon Assault Group, another large fan group,
can be found at http://www.kag.org.

> Thirdly, can anyone mail me the plot of Aktuh and Melota (the
> popular klingon opera) Finally, had anyone got a manual for the
> use of a bat'telh ?

Can't help you with those two.

> Hovmey Davan !

pagh