tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 28 10:36:44 1998

long weekend with MO

Well, I just spent last weekend hang'n with Marc Okrand.
I got answers for some of our questions and a "I'll have to think about that
one" for some other questions.
Hopefully I won't misquote Marc.  Lawrence was with us during some of our
conversations.

The first one I nailed him with was our lovely QAO.  Uh-oh.
You can not use a "question" as an object; but... it is not known yet if
klingon question words can act as one of those relative things, uh, relative
pronoun is it?  You guys know what I'm refering to.
So basicly we didn't really get anywhere with this one yet.
The safest thing for now would be to recast if possible.

Next, -wIj, -wI', and other related suffixes.
"Beings which are capable of language".  They must be a "being", which rules
out things like computers.  And yes, it must be able to use language.  This
was not simply another way of stating sentience.
"being" and "language".
Now, to clearify "use of language" a little bit...
A child which has not yet developed language would still get [-wI'].  This
kind of goes along with how klingon doesn't have tense.  99.9% chance that
this child will later use language.
Someone earlier brought up the hypothetical situation: if someone is in a
coma, they can not speak.  Well, they were able to, and perhaps will someday
again.  They still get [-wI'].
When someone dies, if you are talking about the "person" they get [-wI'];
and of course if you are refering to the empty shell that is left, it gets a
[-wIj].

Ok, moving along...
SIS.  In a way everyone was correct with this one.  It rained a few times
during the weekend, so we were put into the situation to discuss it.
SIS
SISqu'
SIStaH
SISchoH
All correct.
SISlu', altho grammaticlly correct, he didn't particularly like.  Someone
COULD use it but to me it sounds like they skipped science class and don't
know what the subject is.
You can also give it an object and say things like the clouds rained down
cats and dogs. ...or something like that; you get the idea.
But when Marc and I went outside and drops of water were falling on us, he
looked up and simply said "SIS".

I also showed Marc my notes about the old klingon number system he mentioned
in TKD.  He comfirmed my findings.  I can add, subtract, multiply and divide
in the ancient way.
He said he will think about the terminology and grammer to use in
mathematical operations.

And a little side note...[ buy' ngop ].  "The plates are full."  KGT.  No
problem.
Now, after a big meal, and your belly is big, you can't eat another bite.
You can't say jIbuy'.
Your stomach can be full, but YOU can't; not in this context anyways.

Hopefully I was clear about everything.
There may have been a couple other tidbits.  If I recall any more, I'll be
certain to send them here.

DloraH

Back to archive top level