tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 28 15:40:54 1998

Re: Qong bom

At 13:19 98-05-28 -0700, Doneq wrote:
}ghItlh Steven Boozer
}
}> : }HurDaq jItlI' targh.
}> : Outside the targ is ???-ing.
}> :
}> : I don't know the verb /jIt/.  Am I just out of it today?
}> :
}> : }Qong puqwI' Qong,
}> : }HurDaq jItlI' targh.
}> :
}> : Etcetera.  What the heck is /jIt/?
}> :
}> : Qov
}>
}> Could s/he mean {yIt} "walk"?  Is /j/ pronounced like English consonantal
}> /y/ in Dutch as it is in German?
}
}Yes and Yes.
}Walk is appropriate here, because in the song the sheep is indeed
}walking.
}And /j/ is pronounced in Dutch as English and Klingon /y/.
}
}I must say that I think mu' QujwI' did a good job on this one. I
}know, the grammar is not entirely correct, but it's perfectly
}sing-able because the meter is the same as the original.
}
}Though I don't think I will be able to sing a child asleep in
}Klingon... }}:-)

Thanks Doneq.  I just couldn't think what it would be.  I was afraid it was
a word I didn't know.  {yIttaH} seems to make more sense than {yItlI'},
because you're not saying the targ is walking anywhere and particular, just
walking, in an aimless lullaby sort of way.  Or is the targ *on its way*
outside.  That would make sense for {-lI'}.

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level