tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 18 20:18:44 1998

Re: KLBC: question types

>Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 14:02:33 -0800 (PST)
>From: Qov <[email protected]>
>
>At 16:26 98-02-27 -0800, HovqIj wrote:

>}This is clear, but how about questions like:
>}"Did he hit the officer or the child?"
>}This is neither a yes/no-question nor does it have an interrogative. So,
>}do I need the {-'a'}?
>}{yaS puq ghap qIp}
>}I don't like the first one. It's not clear that it is a question.
>
>Exactly.  It's a statement, not a question.
>
>}{yaS puq ghap qIp'a'}
>
>Have you ever asked a smart alecky computer programmer a question with an
>"or" in it?  Ask my loDnal "Is your mother coming on Wednesday or Thursday?"
>and assuming that at least one of "mother coming on Wednesday" and "mother
>coming on Thursday" is a true statement, he'll answer "yes."  I'm pretty
>sure that in Klingon the answer {HIja'} to {yaS puq ghap qIp'a'} would be
>the expected, not smart-alecky answer.
>
>}Maybe {yaS puq ghap qIp. 'Iv qIp?} - "He hit the officer or the child.
>}Whom did he hit?" would be better.
>
>majQa'.  pup.  I couldn't have recast it better myself.

That works.  It's still, I think, a valid question as to how to do "X or
Y?" questions; I'm not positive this sort of recast needs to be (or should
be) the only way.  An idiom I'm rather fond of--and have NO basis in canon
for--is "yaS qIp'a'? puq qIp'a'?"  I think Japanese does this.  "Did he hit
the child?  Did he hit the officer?"  It sounds right to me, as an idiom.
But of course, it's just my guess.

~mark

Back to archive top level