tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 12 19:22:05 1998

Re: KLBC: yajbe' vavoywI'

ja' Edy:
>>>- jInenchoHmo' vItuQlaHbe'
>>
>>"Because I [did/will] become an adult, I am/was/will be not able to
>>wear it."  The grammar is fine, but the time reference is a little
>>unclear to me.  Is the daughter going to celebrate her {nentay} soon,
>>or has she done so already?
>
>    As she grew, she couldn't wear the clothes because they
>were "too short" for her. (apparently it was the reason
>to buy new clothes).

My interpretation of {nenchoH} "mature, grow up" has litle to do with
physical "growth".  I see it as marking the end of childhood and the
beginning of adulthood.  Getting bigger is irrelevant to my understanding
of the kind of maturation {nen} refers to.

I'd suggest being specific about the clothes being too small or too short
because her body has become larger.

>>>- qatlh DatuQlaHbe'. DIS qaStaHvIS bInenchoHqu'laHbe'
>>
>    "You can't grow too much during 1 year"

I'm sure this isn't the right place to use {nen}.  You want to talk about
physical body growth, not becoming an adult.

>>>- vavoy, Sutvam vItuQlaHbe'
>>"Daddy, I cannot wear this clothing."  Wonderful!
>
>PS.:  I would like to use "rIntaH" here in sense of:
>    "I cannot wear this clothing, and FINISH/I WON'T DISCUSS IT
>ANYMORE"  (I'm not sure if it is the meaning of
>"Dramatic effect" TKD 42).

I think someone suggested {pItlh!} here, which seems appropriate.  Using
{rIntaH} should probably be reserved for when {-ta'} would work as well.

>>>(yajlaHbe'ba' vavvatlh)
>    That father could't understant what his daughter wanted.

As long as you really mean he was *unable* to understand, fine.

>>jIyajbe' je jIH.  qatlh Sut ngo' tuQlaHbe' 'ach Sut mach tuQlaH be'?
>>motlh nenchoHtaHvIS vay', tInchoHtaH.
>
>In this story, the "Big" clothing was hidding her beautifull
>"curves", then she wanted a smaller dress in order to show
>her body...

toH.  lutvam vIlaDtaHvIS pab vIbuS 'ej be' porgh vIbuSHa'.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level